Standing strong during World War II
In 1939, as World War II raged all around, the air was filled with despair. Frightened by imminent bombing and armour rolling in, terrified citizens cleared the city. Hundreds of businessmen shut shop and relocated. The Madras High Court shifted to Holy Angels School in Pondy Bazaar, T Nagar. Amidst all the pandemonium, however, one business remained open: Nalli. People from all over Madras came to Nalli for any purchase, however small. It was this dedication that permanently etched the Nalli name into the hearts of the people of Madras, forever transforming it into not just a saree shop, but a symbol of the city’s defiance.